The Black Boys Hotel is an imposing Grade II listed building in the centre of the historic market town of Aylsham. It is a popular pub, bar and restaurant and offers superb B&B accommodation in eight ensuite guest bedrooms. Free on-site parking.
We are open all day every day! Our main door opens directly onto the Market Place - do call in for a drink, coffee, snack or meal!
Dogs welcome in some areas
ACCOMMODATION - BED & BREAKFAST
We have eight en-suite double bedrooms all attractively furnished in traditional style with modern comforts. Character features have been preserved where possible to give each room an individual feel.
King size beds or twin beds
En-suite with shower or bath
WiFi internet access
Handwash, shampoo, hairdryer
Tea and cafetiere coffee facilities
Iron and ironing board on request
FREE car park / cycle storage for guests
A selection of daily newspapers are always available in public areas for clients' use.
The Nelson Suite
Our spacious new luxury suite on the first floor has a super king-size bed, sofa bed, chandelier lighting and a modern en-suite bathroom. A super king-size bed takes pride of place in the room made up with the finest linen for your comfort. A sofa provides space for relaxing and turns into a double bed if required. Sparkly glass table lamps and chandelier lighting add atmoshere.
Original features in the room have been restored to retain character while modern touches include a wall mounted flat screen TV and luxury bathroom with free-standing bath plus power shower.
Carefully selected Farrow & Ball colours have been used throughout while natural light floods in from two large sash windows which overlook the historic Aylsham Market Place.
The suite is named after Admiral Lord Nelson who visited The Black Boys in 1792.
Family Room - Twin room plus lounge
An annexe on the first floor provides ideal accommodation for a family or small group.
In an annexe on the first floor is a small lounge with TV and sofa bed. This room can be booked exclusively with the twin room next door to provide a cosy suite of rooms ideal for a family, group, or just a couple who would like more space!
- Entrance hall with built in wardrobe
- A cosy lounge with double bed settee
- Bedroom with twin beds
- Bathroom with free standing bath (accessed from the twin room).
Both the lounge and bedroom have large wall-mounted flat screen TV's.
Tea and coffee making facilities are provided.
RESTAURANT & BAR
The Black Boys Hotel is owned by the Colchester family who also run the Recruiting Sergeant, Horstead near Coltishall and The Buckinghamshire Arms in nearby Blickling. All three establishments display the same quality, friendliness and attention to detail that have made them so successful.
The restaurant and bar areas of the Black Boys have been completely refurbished but stylised to keep that 17th Century feel with a modern ambience. Well kept real ales from the bar include Adnams and Woodfordes and a selection of wines are available by the glass or bottle.
The menus cater for both traditional and more imaginative tastes using local produce wherever possible. On Sundays there is a choice of Traditional Roast Lunch
HISTORY OF THE BLACK BOYS HOTEL
The Black Boys Hotel presides over the bustling Market Place of Aylsham and is a Grade 2 listed building in recognition of its rich history.
It can be traced back as far as 1471 when it was described as a messuage and cottage called the stonenhus. In the early 1650s it is claimed that a Richard Andrews developed the premises as an inn. He died following a fight with one of Oliver Cromwell's men who was billeted there. Legend has it that he was buried in the grounds and his ghost has been seen on the premises.
18th & 19th Century.
Over the years many famous people are recorded as having enjoyed the hospitality of the Black Boys including Daniel Defoe, Horatio Nelson and Princess Victoria. The hotel features prominently in local history. In 1786 The Aylsham Association was founded and met there. In the 1800s it was used as a Magistrates Court and in 1814 a ball was held there to celebrate peace after the Napleonic Wars.
Stabling at the rear of the Hotel was used for changing horses when travel was predominately by mail coaches. A major redevelopment of the premises took place in 1844 when it was bought by a James Spanton who sold off the entire contents at the local auction rooms. In addition to furniture and sundries - a post chaise, post chariot, a gig and six horses were included in the sale.
There are a couple of theories as to how the hotel acquired its name. Firstly it is suggested that it was named after King Charles II who was nicknamed The Black Boy because he had black hair and a swarthy complexion. Secondly, it may have a connection with the black boy slaves who were used as servants in local wealthy households in the 17th century.
In 1815 John Crome, of the Norwich School of Painters, was commissioned to paint a sign for the inn which he based on a portrait of the King.